Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Oh, God. Oh, God. We're all going to die.

I can officially drive in Japan.
Yeah, I'm scared for the people of Japan too.
I literally almost had an accident as soon as I got my license to drive too. I'm serious. I didn't even get out of the parking lot. Shaun thought it would be great fun if I drove us to the Base Exchange.
"Sure, why not?" I thought. "It can't be that different. I mean, other than driving on the opposite side of the road. And having the steering wheel on the opposite side of the car. And all the signs are different. And there are a few rules that are a little different. And lets not forget the narrower roads..." (I was right! The streets are narrower than American streets!)
So, we all piled into the car to go shopping. I had a few false starts as I realized that the shifter was in a different place (but the peddles weren't). I pulled out of my parking space and made my way to the street only to realize that I was still driving like I was in America and ended up on the wrong side of the driveway.
Just as someone was trying to pull into the parking lot.
There was a moment of panic, arms were flailing and a lot of "Oh, no! Oh, no!" being shouted as I attempted to correct the situation before I killed everyone. The woman in the other car waited patiently and laughed hysterically. I'd like to think that she had once been in my shoes. Perhaps with a slightly calmer approach.
We eventually made it to the Base Exchange and home again without further incident. I'm going to need a little more practice before I put the nice people of Japan at risk.

No comments: