Thursday, August 23, 2012

Being a tourist at home

Today I played tourist. We visited a Buddhist shrine, samurai museum, a park, the international center and a mall. I loved our tour guide. I could tell she loved showing people the city. 
I think I'm going to have to go back to the park sometime on my own. There's a petting zoo (Hobbette loves petting zoos... As long as the animals don't bite or make sudden loud noises...) and pony rides on the weekend. There's also a farmers market there. There seems to be farmers markets everywhere here. She pointed out at least half a dozen different locations.
At the international center we learned a lot about the different things you could do in Japan including a lot of things in the Aomori Prefecture (kinda like our states). She said they have wild horses to the north that are very sweet. If we go see them we should bring carrots and feed them. There was so much information I'm glad they had pamphlets. It seems like they're celebrating some sort of festival at least twice a month. The next one is this weekend. We'll have to go to the parade.
My favorite had to be the mall though. The shops were interesting and there was a lot to see but I was really interested in the food. Shaun insisted I try the octopus balls. I had one earlier at the Viking but he said that was not up to the standards of the ones he had at the mall. He was right. They were amazing. Our tour guide had been talking them up as well and she was really happy to see us try them and even happier that we liked them.
I was a little humored by the lady who took our order though. When I pointed to a random picture of what appeared to be soup she pretty much said that we didn't want that and we should order the chicken and noodles. I'm not sure if she was afraid we wouldn't like it or what but I saw many of our fellow tourists end up with the same dish. The chicken was very good though. Hobbette ate most of the chicken from my plate and Shaun's plate leaving us with nothing but noodles. If she ate it, you know it had to be good. 
Tomorrow: The Fish Market!

No comments: