Friday, August 24, 2012

Fishes!

Another tour today, but this time we went a little south to a fish market. I have never in my life seen so many different kinds of fish and seafood in one place. And there was so much! And every bit of it was caught fresh that morning. Our tour guide said the fish is so fresh a few years ago she saw an octopus running down the aisle in an attempt to get away.
There were samples all over the place. Most of the time I had no idea what I was looking at or what I was eating.
Shaun was determined to buy something. Anything. But he made me pick since I was going to be the one cooking it. There were strange things a translator said was a sea pineapple. They're also called halocynthia roretzi. According to the article I found it tastes pretty foul. It was a good thing I didn't dive right in an buy it or something else I couldn't identify... I settled with giant prawns and slices of what I think is tuna. We also got a small container of seaweed paste. The only reason I got that was because it was one of the samples I tried and it was very good. I was told to put it on rice.
We were a bit hungry so we stopped by a little shop selling sushi. The woman there went nuts when they saw our kids. They started chattering away. Given the giant language gap I think at one point they asked how old they were. When they found out Hobbette was only a year old they made a gesture like she was very tall for her age. That was about as far as I was able to translate the gestures.
Shaun said he heard kawaii which is cute so I guess that's a good thing. But kawaii can be easily confused with kowai which is scary...

No comments: