Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Single parenthood...

Silly me, thinking I'd just run into the Commissary and pick up some milk and diapers. I should know by now that I can never go to the Commissary and just pick up two items. I walked in, picked up a basket and immediately remembered that I was almost out of oatmeal. And I should probably get more fruit. And I could use more flour. And the sugar is running low. And I think there's only four slices of bread left. And... I should probably get a cart...
So, I get a cart. 
Now that Hobbit can sit up on his own I can get one of those funny carts where half of it is a car with two steering wheels because the genius that designed it realized that some kids have problems sharing. Hobbit chews on his steering wheel. No, I didn't wipe it off first. Does that make me a bad parent?
After I get done I realize that I only have 11 items so I can still go through the self-checkout. I'm cheap and avoid tipping baggers whenever possible. 
I should have tipped a bagger. 
For some reason you're not allowed to take the regular shopping carts out of the store. They have special two-tiered carts that the baggers use to get your groceries out to your car. So, I wheel my cart back to the entrance, pull the kids out, get my bags and realize... I have two very heavy bags, two gallons of milk, two kids, and only two hands...
Just then a nice man was coming back with his two-tiered cart and gave me his. But I still had the problem that one hand was holding Hobbit, the other hand was pushing the cart... How was I going to get Hobbette to the car? I have a rule: if a car frequents the space, she's not allowed to walk without holding onto my hand. This includes parking lots. Just then a woman was walking by and made the suggestion that she sits in the lower tier of the cart. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? She helped Hobbette get situated and the whole way to the car I heard "Whee... Whee..." In that voice that says "this seems like a time when Mom would say this in an effort to make it feel fun and exciting but I really don't find it fun or exciting..."
Kids.

No comments: