Monday, January 28, 2013

Night

I've just had the worst night.
Ever.
Not sure it could have gone worst. And I want to tell someone but I don't think anyone would really care. There would be smiles and a few giggles and "Ah, yes. The joys of parenthood. Isn't payback horrible?" And I wouldn't get the sympathy I'm hoping for. Not that I'm hoping for sympathy. Because I don't need sympathy. Pfft. Me? Need sympathy? Ok, maybe a little sympathy would be nice but as a mother I don't think you're allowed sympathy. So I'll settle for someone smiling and giggling and saying "What goes around comes around."
Hobbette has been turning her nose up at certain food. She won't eat her banana at breakfast. She picks at her sweet potato chili. A few bites of chicken and she's down from the table playing with fake bacon. Which is all fine and dandy. She'll eat when she's hungry. Well, last night it all came to a head.
She finished her bottle and I was all set to brush her teeth and put her to bed.
"Humry!"
Alright. Here are some beans. She picked at them, grinned at me and ran to the TV.
"Curious. George!"
No, it's time to go brush your teeth.
"Humry!"
There are beans at the table. She sat at the table, ate one bean and ran to her toy kitchen.
We're not playing right now, honey. You have a choice. You eat the beans or you can go brush your teeth.
"Toast."
Here are some beans. No toast.
*Whine*
She goes back to play. No, honey.
*Throws herself onto the ground*
At that point I had had enough messing about. I picked her up, took her to her room and tucked her in.
What followed was a night long tantrum. I lost track of how often I got up in the middle of the night but to give you some idea of what my night was like: I was up 5 times in the one hour between midnight and 1 a.m.
It. was. horrible.

No comments: